My Blindfold game with Coach Joe Lafornara - by Coach Sean Tobin.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

2010 LOS ANGELES OPEN - My score after three rounds stands at 50%

CHESS PUZZLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!


PUZZLE FOR MY SCHOLASTIC CHESS PLAYERS!

This is how I dreamed of finishing off my first round opponent... however he played the move 20. Bd3 instead of the move 20. Qd2 as in the above position. How would I have gained the advantage here in this position? Either the decisive win of points or a swift checkmate!


ROUND ONE
2 - Day Schedule.
The "evil" Game in 60 time control!



MY OPPONENT FROM ROUND ONE!
Sam played a great game today I had to take a risk in going for the win against him.
( The only game I won today...)

Ok... so I split the two Game in 60 minutes today... one win and one loss. I lost to an IM who was rated 2344 in round two. That was an enjoyable game though - learned a lot! The "IM" stands for "International Master"and you have to be really good at chess to win that title. Even tougher is the "GM" title... and we have one of those super strong players here at this event! Getting to play really strong players like that is why I come to these events in California.

I played really weak in my third round game this evening - which was using the "real" time control of 40 moves in 2 hours and Sudden Death in one hour. That is potentially a six hour game folks! I was lucky to escape with a draw in that game. So My score after three rounds is 50 percent. Tonight I will be dreaming of winning both of my games tomorrow!

The solution for the puzzle up top begins with the move I was hoping to play... 20. ...Qxb3! Now if 21. axb3 then 21. ... Nxb3 is checkmate! Any other move lets me keep the Knight leaving me up a minor piece.

- Chess Coach Sean Tobin.

No comments:

Post a Comment